Thursday, September 30, 2010

Incompetence or Laziness


In a recent USA Today article, the lack of understand of faith was discussed. The opening of the article reads, “Americans are clear on God but foggy on facts about faiths.” Sadly most people know about God, but understand very few facts about what Scripture teaches concerning Him.

In his controversial book The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind, Mark Noll says, “The scandal of the evangelical mind is that there is not much on an evangelical mind.”

The question I must ask as a pastor: Is this reality due to incompetence or laziness?

When I played basketball in High School, I noticed that my coach was getting on to another player for something he was doing. My concern was that I was doing the same thing and I didn’t understand why he wasn’t yelling at me too for the sake of team unity. He explained that he knew I couldn’t do what he was asking, but the other player could and therefore, should do what the coach was asking.

I do not want to challenge people beyond what they are capable, but I wonder if people are actually capable. The issue may be that people have the ability, but not the commitment and discipline to know and understand their faith.

Regardless of the reason, as long as Christians refuse to understand the Biblical doctrine of the Christian faith, their love for God will be weak. As long as their love of God is shallow, their ability to honor Him and live for Him will be shallow.

If we desire to have a meaningful deep and powerful relationship with God, we are going to have to strengthen our knowledge of Him. That will require time, attention, and discipline. These are the same things that make a marriage or any important relationship meaningful and dynamic.

No comments: