Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Wash Your Mouth Out with Soap


I was recently in a public area and heard a young woman string together curse words in a way I hadn't heard since my locker room days in college football. I was astounded with not only the inappropriate and crass nature of her language, but also with the volume. There were "ladies" and children present that heard her.

My first thought was to correct her, but then I remembered that my job in the world is not to change people's behavior, but to simply present the Gospel so that God can transform them from the inside out the way He did me. There was not a real comfortable way for me to present the Gospel at that time and in that environment. She would have taken it that I was just being judgmental of her and she looked like she wanted a fight so I passed on it.

Driving off I was reminded of how powerful words are and what they do to those that hear them and say them.

For those that hear that kind of garbage there is nothing good that comes from it. It just feels like someone poured sewage into your brain and it seeped down into your soul.

For those that talk like that it reflects a heart filled with pride and disrespect and it reveals a loss of personal honor. It reveals a heart that has not surrendered to the King of Kings. A soul that has be conquered by Christ does not curse boldly, walk arrogantly, or sound-off judgmentally. Redeemed people confess humbly, step meekly, and seek peace.

We need to guard our mouths. And we need to guard our hearts and minds from those that don't guard their words.

No comments: