Monday, September 27, 2010

What's It To You?


I was recently asked what three qualities/competencies are necessary for leadership. Off the cuff without really thinking about it I listed them in this order:

1. Character
2. Endurance
3. Vision

In order to lead people, people must be able to trust you. They have to believe in you. I have so many people in my life that lead me because of my respect for them. Some of them do not consider themselves leaders. They think because they lack a position or even strong competencies in oversight that what they bring to my life is minor. What they don't seem to understand is that who they are is what inspires me. I follow them because I want to be like them.

In order to lead people, you must be able to tolerate pain. I learned this several years ago: YOUR LEADERSHIP POTENTIAL IS DETERMINED BY THE AMOUNT OF PAIN YOU ARE WILLING TO ENDURE. The people with the greatest influence take the most shots. I know people that I would do anything for because of their leadership in my life that others are literally praying that harm will come to them. It is sad, but the reality is that the more people that you influence, the more you will suffer emotionally.

In order to lead people, you must know where you are going and what you believe God has destined you and your followers to do. Without a vision people waste resources. Without a vision people lose interest. Without a vision leaders lose their leadership. To lead people you must be able to communicate and inspire others toward the goal God has entrusted you to accomplish.


Those are mine. What is it to you? What qualities/competencies must a leader possess?

2 comments:

ruth said...

The top three leadership qualities for me are:
1. Leaders should be able to serve with humility
2. A Leader should pray and intercede for his flock
3. He/she should be strongly rooted and grounded in Christ's love

jason pettus said...

I agree, Ruth. Yes, humility, prayer, and grounded in Christ's love are fundamental.