Tuesday, September 21, 2010

To Victory Dance or Not To Victory Dance


I have never been a big fan of the victory dance when a player scores or accomplishes something significant in a sporting event. It may be because I never had many opportunities to participate in one, but for whatever reason I don't care for them.

There is nothing more intimidating to me than for a person to do something phenomenal and then walk away as though it is something that happens all of the time. When a girl scores a goal or a man sacks a QB and they just walk off like, "Yea, that's what I do. No big deal." It makes me think, "Oh, my. This is going to happen all day."

Having said that, there is one place for boasting extravagantly in life. God has provided a time for a victory celebration. It is when a child of God honors Jesus for what the Lord has done. Scripture tells us in 2 Corinthians 10:17–18 But, “Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.” 18 For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.

When it comes to celebrating Jesus, I say go for it. If God has blessed us to do good, we shouldn't get too excited except in thanking God for giving us the ability and the opportunity.

No comments: