Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Highs and the Lows


If God allowed us to live on the “mountaintop,” we would not experience trials, but neither would we achieve any victories. -Blackaby. You can read the whole devotion from September 7, by clicking here.

This is a truth that I know, but often forget when it's time to descend into the valley. On the mountain I feel safe. On the mountain life is fun. On the mountain God feels as accessible as my next breath. On the mountain sin seems as stupid as it really is. On the mountain those I love are well. I hate to leave the mountain.

I took Asher to the park the other day. The more I think about it the more I realize how much like a three year old I can be. Asher rarely wants to leave the park with all the fun, laughter, and fellowship that it provides. He wines and complains and even works against my will to detain us. I do the same thing when its time to leave the mountaintop.

At the end of this Labor Day weekend where I have been with family and friends it is now time to get back to hard work. There will be needs, schedules, temptations, and pain. It's life.

Like my Heavenly Father, I persist and require Asher to go back to the real world where there are schedules to keep, more stringent rules to follow, and places to be that are not fun. In this world Asher has to make hard decisions. He fails, but also succeeds. This is the world where he will learn the most.

My Heavenly Father has led me to many mountaintop experiences. He has also led me to many valleys. In both experiences He has proven faithful. I am trusting Him today with my life.

I am also praying for friends that are in hospitals praying for those they love. I am praying for those that need jobs. I am praying for those that are heartbroken. I am praying for those that are afraid. I am praying for those that are in the valley trusting that God will see them through and thinking about that next mountaintop for them and the refreshment they will find for their soul.

2 comments:

Tia said...

This was a great post. Very relevant to what my family and I are experiencing right now. Thanks for this message :D

Chad said...

I love this picture. As a German Shepherd owner myself I can attest that every fiber in this breed's being wants to get that helpless cat. It's a really good metaphor illustrating that evil can be kept away by the will of the Father just as those dogs in the picture are limited by the will (and command) of the trainer.