Sunday, September 12, 2010

If She Can Do It...


This month at Living Hope we have encouraged everyone to bring someone with them to church. I had the best time getting to meet some of those guests today. It was also good to know that so many people were praying for me while I was preaching. Those that brought guests were praying not only for the message to impact them, but especially for God's Word to impact their friends.

Of all of the people that brought guests today the one that warmed my heart and inspired me the most was one of our senior adults. She was sitting on the second row just like she does every Sunday at 8 am. This morning she had two teenage boys sitting with her and she was proudly introducing them to everyone in her section. (Our church is funny... people sit in the same section of seats every Sunday and get to know each other. They become like family.)

I came over during the welcome time and shook their hands. This sweet saint introduced these young men to me and told me the story.

It turns out that she'd contracted these boys to rake her leaves last fall and had gotten to know them pretty well. She'd intended to invite them then, but never had the opportunity. Because of our emphasis this month she created the opportunity and went and got them this morning.

As I write this tonight, I am smiling thinking about this seasoned saint sitting with those two fifteen year old boys in church. It is a beautiful picture and a reminder of what we all need to be doing. We all need to be bringing people to worship with us and sharing the Gospel with them.

If this lady can bring two young men some sixty years younger than her, you and I can bring someone too. We must simply make it a priority.

2 Corinthians 5:20–21 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

No comments: