Sunday, November 7, 2010

Watch Out for that Slippery Slope!


Hosea 13:6 When I fed them, they were satisfied; when they were satisfied, they became proud; then they forgot me.


We humans are strange. When life is falling apart and filled with suffering, we cry out to God and turn to Him. When life is good, we are tempted to forget Him and do our own thing. It just doesn't make sense. We don't make sense.

So, why do we do it? Why do we forget God?

1. We do not appreciate Him. God is good all of the time and we don't honor Him for all He is and all He does. In the absence of thankful praise our minds drift toward self-centered control. We think we have it all figured out and wonder why God and the world doesn't appreciate us.

2. We do not understand the depth of our need. We have such a limited view of reality. Most of us just look at our circumstance and forget that a much greater and fiercer battle is raging in the spiritual realm. As long as we can pay our bills, participate in our hobbies, and do most of the things we want to do, we figure all is well. The truth of hte matter is that we need God more than we know.

3. We do not understand the riches of His glorious grace. Unfortunately, our spiritual appetite is not like our physical appetite. There seems to be no end to the desires of our flesh, but when it comes to spiritual desires many of God's people push back from the table way too early. God has so much more to do, say, and bless us with. We get satisfied with a little and lose interest in the rest.

My prayer: Lord, do not let me get satisfied with you or with me or with the life you've called me to live in you. Through your supernatural power stir up a hunger and a thirst for righteousness. In your grace allow the Gospel to do a greater work still. Make me more dependent upon you and allow me to be free from me.

3 comments:

DAHL said...

reminded me of the passage in proverbs 30:

Two things I ask of you;deny them not to me before I die:
Remove far from me falsehood and lying;give me neither poverty nor riches;feed me with the food that is needful for me,lest I be full and deny you and say, "Who is the LORD?" or lest I be poor and steal
and profane the name of my God.

Anonymous said...

I have heard of yours talks and how empowering to people with christs love you really are and i truly see what i have heard and know that is it true. I was invited to come to your church one sunday and although I do want to I am catholic and I do now know if I would feel welcomed or not but this actually helped clear that up a little more. Thank you

jason pettus said...

You would be very welcomed and loved. Please come and experience Advent with us.