Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Power of Deception


This morning I was reading the list of "Mighty Men" provided in 1 Chronicles 11 and came across a name I'd not noticed before, but knew. It was Uriah the Hittite (11:41). He was the first husband of Bathsheba, whom David committed adultery with.

When I think about Uriah, I am saddened. This man was not an Israelite. He was proselytized, which means he had to go through a painful surgery and probably felt the scorn of his own family and friends.

I am sure David never intended to cause him harm and make light of the grace and goodness of God, but he did. I wonder what Uriah's family said about God, after their son was murdered by David. I wonder if they mocked the God of heaven and became twice the prisoners of hell they already were because of this sin of this "man of God." I wonder if the sin of "the king after God's own heart" made them despise God.

Our sin has consequences. It is deceptive. Make no mistake, it will cost us. Sin always takes us further than we intended to go, costs us more than we wanted to pay, and gives us less than it promised.

No comments: