Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Coach's Complaint


"A true believer will crucify the question, 'Why?' He will obey without questioning." ~Martin Luther


I am coaching the second sport of the year for my oldest son. We just finished football last week and now we begin basketball this week. The time we get to spend together is amazing! We talk on the way there and on the way back and throughout the practice. We end up discussing stuff during the week that leads to other far more important discussions. I am blessed with this opportunity.

The thing about coaching that will drive you crazy is disobedience. It is one thing to assign a task to a player that does not accomplish their role because of the lack of ability. God made us all different. Not everybody can do what has been asked of them.

What will drive you crazy is when a person can, but won't. In that situation a coach is forced to determine how to motivate or discipline.

God has a lot of players that He has gifted, but refuse to obey. I want to be a player that God can depend on to do what He has gifted and assigned me to do.

1 comment:

ruth said...

As I reflect on this statement by Martin Luther, I realize that true believers are able to do this because they have first counted the cost of obedience and then decided to forsake all to follow Jesus, their commitment is not half-hearted (Luke 14:25-33). And God's Holy Spirit Himself is their Coach who leads and guides them and even gives them the strength and ability to obey God in all things. And I am learning that in forsaking all things that I have, I gain the greatest treasure ever, I gain Him!