Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What Does Success Look Like for You?


This week I am spending time praying and reading through ministry overviews for a long-range planning process that will take place this year at Living Hope. For the past two years my prayer for The Hope has been that we would be one of the most loving places on the planet by loving Jesus, loving each other, and loving lost people.

I read this yesterday and was encouraged.

How Lakeview Baptist Church in Auburn, Alabama Defines Herself as Successful:

1. God's people love God; therefore they worship Him passionately.

2. God's people love God's word; therefore they obey The Precepts wholeheartedly.

3. God's people love one another; therefore they live together in harmony.

4. God's people love the lost; therefore they proclaim the gospel faithfully.

5. God's people love all people; therefore they go to all the nations.

What would you add to this list?
How do you define success for what God has called you to?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I still read your blog and have never commented. I love it when a good writer or preacher provokes me to thought and this just struck me today. I thought how would I define success for me as part of the church:

1. Mike loves God; therefore he obeys Him no matter the cost.

2. Mike loves God's word; therefore he treasures The Precepts and hides them in his heart.

3. Mike loves God's people; therefore he sacrifices his own agenda to meet a brother or sister's needs whether emotional, physical, or spiritual.

4. Mike loves the lost; therefore he eats with sinners and tax-gatherers.

5. Mike loves all people; therefore he is willing to interrupt his own schedule for the sake of one in need, whether in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, or the ends of the earth.

This is really convicting. Thanks!
Miss seeing you my friend. Blessings!

Mike Wilson

Unknown said...

To keep a lamp burning, we have to keep putting oil in it (Mother Teresa). Jason, your blogs provide the oil to keep Hopers’ lamps burning so to speak. May this coming year be successful for The Hope and may your efforts to develop long range ministry plans provide the needed oil to drive the passion of your beloved church community.

jason pettus said...

That's good stuff, Mike. I miss you too.

Thanks, Kirby. You are such a great encouragement. I will be counting on you big time for the long-range planning activation. A lot of it hinges on first impressions.