Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Do You Love It?


My youngest is describing what he does and does not enjoy in a rather strange way. If Asher doesn't desire something, instead of saying, "I don't like this." He will say, "I don't love this." Actually, he speaks of himself in the third person so he would actually say, "Asher doesn't love this."

He and I were out last week and someone offered him a candy cane. He does not care for hard candy so he said, "No, thank you. Asher doesn't love that."

The person had a funny look on her face. My first thought was that she was surprised by his third person usage or manners. I know I am surprised how polite he is at times. His mother has instilled the yes and no "thank you" into him. But that is not what grabbed her attention. She looked at me and said, "He doesn't love it, huh?" All I could do is smile and say, "Yes, his expectations are pretty high."

I don't know what to think about it, but I must admit that I admire it. What if he could go through life making decisions based on his love.

St. Augustine is famous for saying, “Love God and do as you please.”

If God answers my most important prayer and Asher receives saving faith in Christ and chooses to live His life in love of God, I believe he will be blessed. Imagine a life that makes decisions entirely out of love for God. In the face of temptation, instead of simply saying, "No!" How about saying, "I don't love this. I love God!" That would be a great life.

1 comment:

ruth said...

Love it!

In the face of temptation I've often used Luther's prayer, "Jesus I am yours, save me".

I will definitely try: "I don't love this, I love God" - what a powerful declaration to make when tempted.