Friday, December 3, 2010

Great Expectations


“So you are saying that a person can accept Jesus as savior and then live a life of sin any way they want to?” It is interesting to me that I get this question a lot in view of Scripture’s teaching on the perseverance of the saints.

That is not at all what I see in Scripture. God’s makes it clear that Christians will struggle with sin, but that what will highlight their life is obedience to Jesus.
1 John 2:1–6 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. 2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world. 3 We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. 4 The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: 6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Christmas is a wonderful time to remember what God did to save us and to reflect on how we are living out the redeemed life of grace we’ve been given. A good question to ask yourself is: What is my expectation? Do I expect to see God change my life as I seek to the best of my ability to live for Him? Or am I assuming on the grace of God and expecting God to simply understand that my desires determine my life and not Him?

I know those are stark contrasts and most live somewhere in between, but should we? Are our expectations for holy living great?

No comments: