Friday, July 31, 2009

Authenticity - Spiritual Consistency

What I read during my devotional time this morning struck a chord with me. I have been thinking about leadership a lot this summer. I have especially been thinking about the kind of leader I have been, the kind I am today, and the kind I want to be in the future.

In commenting on the life of Sampson in Judges 14 D.A. Carson writes:
It appears, then, that Spirit-given power in one dimension of life does not by itself guarantee Spirit-impelled discipline and maturity in every dimension of life. It follows that the presence of spiritual gifts is never an excuse for personal sin.
D. A. Carson, For the Love of God : A Daily Companion for Discovering the Riches of God's Word. Volume 1 (Wheaton, Ill.: Crossway Books, 1998), July 31.


I think it is all too easy for leaders and their followers to excuse a leader's sin, when they are successful or when things are going good. In some instances it is malicious. Leaders take advantage of others by using their authority to live in sin. This summer I heard about a senior pastor that was having an affair and another pastor on staff got word about it and began to blackmail the senior pastor and have an affair with the same woman. How sick!!! That poor woman. That poor church. Those deceitful men used their influence and hurt people. What makes it even worse was that there were leaders in the church that knew about it, but said nothing because "things were going so good." In time it all came out, but it almost killed that church. It certainly damaged the witness of the Christian community that desired to reach that city with grace.

I have also heard of leaders using their positions to gain power in their denomination or other leadership bodies so they could gain a high paying job. It's just sin.

There is never an excuse for sin. If leaders sin, rebuke them. If they repent, you've won them back. Remember, repentance is not simply admitting wrong and feeling remorse. It is turning away and never again committing that sin. If they will not repent, leaders should be removed from their post for their sake, the sake of those they lead, and the sake of the name of Christ.

It is amazing how simple Jesus has made it for us to lead and live well. If we will simply love Jesus, love God's people, and love lost people and serve them with the love we've been given in Christ we will be spiritually consistent and be authentic leaders. We would do well to be reminded of Paul's admonition to Timothy about his life of leadership.

1 Timothy 4:11-16 Command and teach these things. 12Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. 13Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. 14Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you. 15Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. 16Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

4 comments:

Rev. K.T. said...

Thanks, Jason.

Thad Crews said...

Thanks for sharing, Jason. As Christian leaders (husbands, wives, parents, small group members, ABF teachers, deacons, elders, pastors, whatever) I think it is important that we see ourselves as followers as much as leaders. When leadership is incorrectly viewed as a poition of high authority it can lead to abuse (as you point out). When leadership is correctly viewed as submission to authority, there is grace. May Christ be amazed by our leadership (Luke 7:1-10)

Peggy Cochran Parrott said...

I know that my area of leadership is not nearly as "important" or as big as yours but sometimes I think that all leaders, no matter how high or low they think their calling, feel quite alone. That being alone causes people to attempt to make things better ... I don't know if I'm making sense or not ... but I know that there are so many times that I feel so alone and that I have nobody to lean on. I feel like I have to be better than everybody else, and that is what I strive to be but when we miss the mark ... as we all do at times ... it's so difficult to not have someone to talk with and be accountable to. This probably made absolutely no sense at all but just some random thoughts on your observation and blog. Thanks for loving us even when we are difficult people! :)

jason pettus said...

Thanks for sharing your insights Peggy and Thad. Leadership is hard whether it be at home, a classroom, or anywhere. I think leadership can be lonely, but leaders like everyone else must seek community. I am thankful for the elders and also the leaders I get to work with. I am also very thankful for my small group and the Godly men I can count on as inner-circle friends. Everybody needs people in their lives that know who they are and what is going on with them. I talk with at least one of them every day and it is a blessing to have that constant support, encouragement, and insight.