Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Pray for Pastors, Missionaries, Church Officers, & Other Leaders of Jesus

I read this during my devotional time and was compelled to share it and ask everyone to pray for those called to lead God's Kingdom Work.

“Brethren, pray for us.”
— 1 Thessalonians 5:25

This one morning in the year we reserved to refresh the reader’s memory upon the subject of prayer for ministers, and we do most earnestly implore every Christian household to grant the fervent request of the text first uttered by an apostle and now repeated by us. Brethren, our work is solemnly momentous, involving weal or woe to thousands; we treat with souls for God on eternal business, and our word is either a savour of life unto life, or of death unto death. A very heavy responsibility rests upon us, and it will be no small mercy if at the last we be found clear of the blood of all men. As officers in Christ’s army, we are the especial mark of the enmity of men and devils; they watch for our halting, and labour to take us by the heels. Our sacred calling involves us in temptations from which you are exempt, above all it too often draws us away from our personal enjoyment of truth into a ministerial and official consideration of it. We meet with many knotty cases, and our wits are at a non plus; we observe very sad backslidings, and our hearts are wounded; we see millions perishing, and our spirits sink. We wish to profit you by our preaching; we desire to be blest to your children; we long to be useful both to saints and sinners; therefore, dear friends, intercede for us with our God. Miserable men are we if we miss the aid of your prayers, but happy are we if we live in your supplications. You do not look to us but to our Master for spiritual blessings, and yet how many times has He given those blessings through His ministers; ask then, again and again, that we may be the earthen vessels into which the Lord may put the treasure of the gospel. We, the whole company of missionaries, ministers, city missionaries, and students, do in the name of Jesus beseech you

“Brethren, pray for us.”


C. H. Spurgeon, Morning and Evening : Daily Readings, July 7 AM.


Please pray so that those God has called to lead you will never have to read a letter like the one that I have posted here to those entrusted to their care. I read this yesterday and I am praying for this fallen servant who is still loved by God. His name is known to God and you can pray for him knowing that God knows who you are interceding for.

5 years ago my wife and I moved here with a vision to start a church that was doing whatever it took to reach those far from God. Over the last 5 years God has exceeded our expectations and more people than I can count have entered into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Pastoring here has been one of the great highlights of my life. I think our church is the greatest church in America and I count it an honor to have been called to start her.

It is with those thoughts on my mind that I’m now writing the toughest letter I’ve ever had to write. Effective immediately, I will be stepping down as the pastor. 6 weeks ago, I entered into an emotional and physical affair with a woman. I have no excuses, no justification, and no one to blame but myself. I did exactly what I have preached against by letting my guard down and putting myself into a position to fall into sin. I’m so sorry.

It breaks my heart to know all the people I have let down from my wife to all of you who have invested your blood, sweat, and tears into making the church it is today. I know what I did was wrong, I have asked God for forgiveness, but there is still consequences for our sin and I’m no longer qualified to lead the church.

I know this comes as a shock to many of you and your emotions will vary from anger to hurt, know that it was never my desire to hurt any of you. This is the end of my time as your pastor, but it is not the end of the church.

I would also ask that you stay in prayer for me and my family. I am committed to doing what it takes to get my walk with God back to the place where I know it should be. I am focused on Him during this time and I’m looking forward to seeing Him work in my life in the days to come. Also pray for my wife and my children. They are the true victims in this and they will need your love and grace like never before. I am committed to getting myself healthy where I can be the husband and father my family needs. I appreciate your prayers during this time.

Let me close out by again saying how much I love all of you. I am so sorry I let you down. I am so sorry that I have given the cause of Christ yet another black eye. I’m so sorry that I have left all of you in this position.

2 comments:

Cheyenne said...

I was thinking the other day about military wives, and how difficult it must be to send their husbands away into the way of harm, dreading tragedy and praying fervently for their safety as a result; then I thought about how being a pastor's wife really isn't so different. Our battle is not against flesh and blood, and you guys are on the front lines of a spiritual battle far more intense than any physical war. I'm praying for you, my husband, and the other men who faithfully lead us - that God would protect you from every external threat and also the sin that so easily entangles. Thanks for shepherding us faithfully and exhorting us to pray.

jason pettus said...

Thank you, Cheyenne. And thank you for praying for Carrie. That means so much to her that you are lifting her up.