Monday, July 6, 2009

Good Days & Bad Days

I have had a string of good days. The Pettus people have had a ton of fun over the past few days. We have had friends over for a get together and we have several more planned. Even though we got soaking wet at the fireworks in Nashville, we had a ball. Today we have friends headed our way for a couple of days. Somehow everybody has been healthy. Asher has said some stuff that still makes me laugh just thinking about it now. The big kids are having a killer summer with their dad at home. And spiritually I am enjoying such a sweet season with Jesus.

But sometimes I wonder if I'm spiritually schizophrenic. One day I feel like I can reach out and touch God or that He has reached out and touched me. On other days I struggle to sense Him in anything. As a matter of fact I can be on top of the world with God in one moment and in a single minute that can all change.

It gives me comfort to know that King David was a little spiritually schizophrenic too. This man of God wrote both Psalm 139 and Psalm 13.

Psalm 139:5-10 You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. 6Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. 7Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? 8If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. 9If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, 10even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.


Psalm 13:1-2 For the director of music. A psalm of David. How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? 2How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?


Someone might say, "Well, which one is it David? Is God always up in your business or has He forgotten you and hidden His face from you?" I don't ask that. I get it. There are days when God wants us to be aware of His presence and there are days when God wants us to act in obedience based on what He's already revealed. The goal is God's glory and our growth in Godliness.

Here is what we can know:

Philippians 1:6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Hebrews 13:5 God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"There are days when God wants us to be aware of His presence and there are days when God wants us to act in obedience based on what He's already revealed."

I've never heard it stated like this, but I like it. Is it ok that I have gone weeks while living in India simply acting in obedience based on what He has already revelaed? I have had some pretty spiritually dry strectches before.

Right now is not one of them though! How can I not be spiritually soaring while watching this little kid grow?! Plus, I have had more time to listen to Jadon Lavik and read my devotions than I have had in a long time. God is good brother. Have another great day.

jason pettus said...

Yes, you can go weeks while living in India simply acting in obedience based on what He has already revelaed. That doesn't mean we don't get on our face everyday and in God's Word. But it does mean we can go forward in the peace of God's will until He says otherwise. You can't know if God is saying otherwise, if you are not pursuing him.

You are in a sweet spot in your life that you will never forget. I am so happy for you guys and hope to see you soon. I am praying for you everday.