Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Harry Potter, The Empire Strikes Back, and Jesus

I went to see the new Harry Potter movie today with my big kids. Asher didn't go because the movie was long and slow and he definitely would have gotten us thrown out. We didn't think much of the movie. It reminded me of The Empire Strikes Back. It pulled together a lot of details of the overall story, but nothing was finalized. There was one scary part and I did jump and I may have screamed like Jeff Carlisle,( mission pastor at Living Hope that is an army trained man that can take you out and yet screams like a little girl when he is startled), but the movie was missing the great action scenes that make an action movie an action movie.

One thing it did do for me was to remind me again of the situation all of us in Christ are in. We are pulling all of the details of the Great Story of Redemption together and we know ultimately how the whole thing is going to end, but we are not enjoying the final work yet. We know that in the end Jesus wins. We know that we get to be with Him forever in a world void of evil. We know that the ending is going to be amazing, but for now we don't know when or how. We just have to wait for the next part to come out.

No comments: