Monday, July 13, 2009

What Did God Say?

I have attended worship without any leadership responsibilities for four weeks in a row now. I have not gone that long without a public presence in the worship of God somewhere and in some way in over a decade. It is interesting to me to consider the worship experience from this perspective. I am not asking myself how I did or asking about how people responded. I am simply asking what did I hear God say.

So I am wondering what you heard God say. If you gathered with a church yesterday, and I hope you did in obedience to God's Word in Hebrews 10:24-25, I am wondering what you heard God say. I know you heard a person speak, or sing, or pray, but what did you hear from God through them as they taught God's word, sang praise to His name, or sought Him in prayer.

I don't usually ask for comments. For whatever reason people always email me their thoughts instead of posting them here on this site, but this time I want to challenge you to post your answer to this question: During worship yesterday, what did you hear God say?

I was at Highview Baptist Church at the 10:15 Fegenbush service with Dr. Russell Moore. He was speaking on the Lord's Supper. He had a lot of great insights he gleaned from 1 Corinthians 10:14-22.

The thing that grabbed me and stuck with me is when he said, "When we receive the Lord's Supper, we are experiencing God in the process of feeding His body." We are the body of Christ. When we receive the Lord's Supper, we are being fed the hope of the Gospel.

My mind immediately went to Exodus and how God provided food for His people as they traveled the desert in search of the Promise Land.

In this life we are on a journey to the ultimate Promise Land - heaven. Just as God provided for the children of Israel then, He will now provide for His church - the Body of Christ. God will provide for me. God will provide for my friends that are worried about their jobs, their retirement, their mortgage, and a host of other things. God provides.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,

I had the privilege of hearing Don Piper speak yesterday here in Denver and I was very encouraged by what he had to say about his perspective on heaven and about those of us that are still here to make sure we are doing all that we can to help others find their way there. It was significant to hear that the first people he saw in his 90 minutes in heaven were those that helped him get there. He left us with the question, "How many will see you as one of the first ones they meet in heaven?"

Greg Henry from Colorado

jason pettus said...

Thanks for sharing Greg. I'm starting to wonder if anybody went to church yesterday. Lots of people reading, but nobody sharing. The story of my blog.

Hey, Congratulations!!! I am very happy for you. I pray God blesses your life together.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I learned much to my dismay...because I thought that I already knew..... I am scum, and it is not about me!!! It is about a Holy and Merciful God, who deeply loves his people! We as a body also had the Lord's supper... We each were asked to take a slice of bread, pray and share our slice with others in the congregation, while praying for eachother. This was a moving and deeply spiritual way to receive the Gift of The Lord's Supper....but I think that what I got out of it the most was... nearing the end I began to get a little apprehensive, and did not want it to end.. not foe the fellowship...but because I still had to much bread left...I had not shared it with enough people!!! I pray that at the end of my days...I have shared it ALL!

Unknown said...

Scott talked yesterday about the legacy of faith he was blessed with. I hope and pray daily that I can provide my daughter with a solid faith in Christ on which to build her life. If my life has no other purpose or meaning, that alone is enough for me to seek Christ daily and be the best husband/father I can possibly be!

Unknown said...

I realized, again, on Sunday that I miss worship. Not being able to join together in praise with my brothers and sisters in Christ, and seeing the passion and energy of a sermon that the recorded version just can't capture is weighing on my wife and I. We miss our church family. I hope and pray that everyone who reads this blog will actually remember what they heard on Sunday, and not take it for granted. Corporate worship is a blessing as much as it is a command. Enjoy it!

Sorry to get preachy, but it has been over 7 months now, and I need me some Benny and Jason!

Have a blessed day brother.