Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Feeling Wise

Proverbs 13:20 "He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm."

I was in the presence of some wisdom yesterday, as I visited with one of our senior saints that is sick in the hospital. In the midst of our conversation I received some insight for life. Here are two of the gems I walked away with.

"Teach your children and remind yourself of the ABCs. You A-Attitude and B-Behavior will always determine your C-Controllable Consequences." That is rich.

The second was a story. She had documentation that did not need to be seen so instead of using white more transparent trash bags, she opted for the black heavy duty kind. Her strategy was to hide her trash. It was a privacy issue. She wanted to get her trash out of her life and have someone take it away without other people seeing it. As she carried these black bags to the curb, it dawned on her that this is what she seeks to do with her life. She wants to take her trash - her sin - and turn it over to Jesus and have it taken away without the fear of reprisals from others.

There is certainly a place for confessing our sins to our siblings in Christ. James 5:16 "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." But we do not have to be a public spectacle. Jesus was that for us so we can be free from the trash of life.

Anyway, I got that from one hospital visit and feel wiser for it.

2 comments:

Joan Gillon said...

Very wise words, indeed. Thanks for passing that on.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing, Jason. I followed your fb post, and I'm glad I did... great wisdom and encouragement! And although relevant to me, very beneficial tag on conversation I've been having with Thomas-- high school started yesterday :-) We love and appreciate you. Great to have you back. Sunday's service was awesome. Pam Shaw