Friday, August 14, 2009

Out of Control and Liking It

I am typing on a borrowed computer today. Mine is dead, but Stuart the IT man here at Living Hope was able to save the contents of my hard drive. I was able to rewrite the message I will bring to the church on Sunday, but it is somehow two points shorter. I do not think anyone will mind. I have never heard anyone complain about a short sermon.

So all is good. Except the fact that I had a bit of a panic attack this week that has caused me to have to repent and relook at my life and faith.

This week has been a tough week, but why should that matter? If God is always God, and clearly He always is, that means that He is always at work in all things to make them good for those who love Him and have been called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). That means that there is never any good reason for a follower of Jesus to ever be overwhelmed by the contents of their work or the circumstances they face. We can be content under any conditions (Philippians 4:12-13).

The fact that I was overwhelmed only means that I was taking responsibility for something that goes beyond my human capacity. There is in me a desie to control what happens to me and to the ones I love. That is not something I can actually do and taking responsibility for something you can not do will lead you to be discouraged and drained in every way.

The question before me and all of us is this: Do we believe God (Romans 4:3)? Not do we believe in Him, but do we believe God. Do we believe He is in cotrol (Psalm 135:5-7)? Do we believe He loves us (John 15:13)? Do we believe that He works everything for good (Romans 8:28)? Do we believe He has a plan to provide for us (Jeremisah 29:11)?

If we believe God, then we can stop fighting to try and stay in control. There is a lot I can do to protect my life, my family, my church, and my friends, but I am limited. I can't keep them healthy, happy, or free from life's pain and problems. Although I cannot do everything, that does not keep me from doing what I can. At the same time because there is a limit to what I can control, there must also be a limit to the responsibility and anxiety I bear.

In Genesis 32:22-32 we find a man trying to control the outcome of his life and family. He does everything he can, but at some point he must learn to trust God. God wrestled with Jacob to get him to surrender control of his life. Jacob put up a good fight like we all do, but with a limp as a reminder, Jacob came away from his bad week with a greater faith and a freer heart and mind. He was able to live out of control under God's control.

I do not know what you are dealing with this week. If your week is good, praise God. If it is bad, praise God. God is always God and we can simiply believe God and live out of control under His control.

2 comments:

RRigdon said...

Amen.

Maryellen said...

Quoting Jason: "The fact that I was overwhelmed only means that I was taking responsibility for something that goes beyond my human capacity. There is in me a desie (sic) to control what happens to me and to the ones I love. That is not something I can actually do and taking responsibility for something you can not do will lead you to be discouraged and drained in every way."
WOW JASON...reading this "hit" me in my heart like someone hitting my head and saying I could've had a V-8.
I understand completely what you are saying on this one as I have the same problem. Thank you for being so honest and letting the Spirit guide you into convicting yourself and ALL of us, accepting and realizing that we don't have control of our lives and never have, never will. We've got to be under His control, following Him and trusting Him in everything.