Thursday, August 27, 2009

Great Expectations

I have pretty high standards for myself. I am sure there are others that might think I am a slacker, but on the whole I think I make a good case for my work ethic and productivity.

One thing I have learned in life is that, although I need to live with great expectations of myself, I do not need to live with great expectations of others. Living with great expectations of others creates stress on a relationship and disappointment that is many times unnecessary.

I spoke with a pastor recently that is living under the pressure of great expectations of people that demand that he do what they want. The kicker is that the people are not willing to help meet the need. They just want to enjoy the benefits of something without helping make it happen. He is incapable and is not called by God to work alone and to provide for the interests of people. He is a man ordained in the Gospel ministry to make disciples. God has given him a vision and a functional method to produce fruit, but there are people that are coming to him not asking what can I help you do. They are coming and asking, "What else can you do that fits more into what I want?"

If you are a member of a local church, please encourage those leaders that serve you and come along side of them and help them. Instead of going to church with great expectations of others, go to church with great expectations of yourself and give your time and energy in providing for the needs of others within the paradigm the leaders of your church believe God desires for the ministry they lead.

No comments: