Wednesday, October 27, 2010

To Think God's Thoughts


"One of the highest and noblest functions of man’s mind is to listen to God’s Word, and so to read his mind and think his thoughts after him." ~John Stott


The Psalmist testifies, "I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. 15 I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. 16 I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word."Psalm 119:14–16

What a joy and honor it is to read God's Word. When we meditate on His Word, we are thinking His thoughts after Him. In the process His Holy Spirit speaks to us and guides us into all truth.

It is when we understand the Bible to be the inspired Word of God that we will delight in His decrees and never neglect it.

There are many Bibles that will remain closed today. There are many minds that will not think about God rightly. There are many lives that will turn away from God's way. It's not because they are more sinful than anybody else. They will miss the opportunity to commune with God and the evil of this world will continue to press on them.

My prayer: Father, allow me insight into the power of your Word. Please do not let my study be an academic exercise. In your grace allow me to feel your presence as I read you words so that I find comfort and inspiration in your love for me.
Let my life reflect your love. Let your truth change who I am. Let the discipline and denial of my flesh be a joyful living sacrifice of love to you.

No comments: