Monday, July 19, 2010

Growing Up

Your understanding of God’s character ought to be greater now than when you first became a Christian. You ought to know Him today better than you did five years ago. Sadly, some Christians continue to live year after_year with the same basic knowledge of God that they had when they first began walking with him. Whatever your present situation, view it in the light of what God is teaching you, through circumstances, about Himself and you will come to know God in dimensions you have never known Him before. -Blackaby


I have been reminded several times this weekend about the nature of my connection with God. The Bible uses many different metaphors to describe how we interact with God. The ones that mean the most to me are the relational ones. The fact that I am His adopted son, His friend, His bride, His love, and so many other wonderfully relational things makes me happy.

Like all relationships it has grown over the years. I have been a follower of Christ now for 22 years 22 days. What I knew of Him when I first believed is nothing compared to what I know of Him now. It is almost as if I didn't really know Him. I knew enough to be saved, but little else.

Over the years I have experienced different levels and different kinds of growth. I have learned a great deal. In understanding His Word I have gained a greater grasp on His grace and greatness. This has impacted how I feel about Him, myself, other people, and the world. Although I still have so far to go, it is staggering to think of what I would be without Him.

Today I am thankful that God saved and gave me a new life. I am thankful that I know Him better this summer than I did last summer. For all of the pain, sorrow, and hardship I praise my God because through it all He has been faithful and helped me understand Him. For all of the joy, peace, love, and life that is mine I praise Him. Everything that I have that is good is a gift from Him.

No comments: