Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Boyce Catechism - Bible 1

CATECHISM of James P. Boyce
THE BIBLE
1. What book have we that teaches about God?
The Bible.


The Bible is the Word of God. It is active. There is in its pages the truth that leads us to the savior, creator, and sustainer of life.

Today as I read I received wisdom. Through the experience of those that God chose to work through I realized a similarity in their life and mine. I was reminded that the God that dealt with them and cared for them is the same God who loves me and has bought me for His purpose.

What a joy it is to know that I need only read the Bible to know all that God has determined I need to know of Him. When I know Him, I understand myself and my world.

I thank God for the Bible He has given to us.



I am going to give time each day to reflecting on the catechism of Dr. Boyce. I invite you to join me.

Here is some background on the author. James Petigru Boyce (1827–1888) was a Baptist theologian, pastor, and seminary professor. Boyce was educated at Brown University under Francis Wayland, whose evangelical sermons contributed to Boyce’s conversion, and at Princeton Theological Seminary under Charles Hodge. Boyce became a pastor, then a university professor, and finally the founder and first president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, where he taught theology from 1859 until his death in 1888. Throughout his ministry Boyce insisted on the importance of theological education for all ministers. In a preface, he described his Abstract of Systematic Theology, published the year before his death, as follows: "This volume is published the rather as a practical text book, for the study of the system of doctrine taught in the Word of God, than as a contribution to theological science."

No comments: