Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The North America Reality

I am back from my meetings in Atlanta with the board of trustees of the North America Mission Board.

These meetings always make me feel lousy and excited.

I feel lousy because it disturbs me to my core to understand how many lost people there are in North America. The statistic we received today was 1 in 4. Our speaker made the point so vivid by going through the crowd and pointing to people. First person: you are going to hell. Second person: you are going to hell. Third person: you are going to hell. Fourth person: you are saved by grace. He forced us to focus our hearts and mind on the three lost people and what this meant for their life and eternity. I am deeply disturbed. My church is going to hear about it on Sunday.

I am also extremely excited. This great need is also a great opportunity. We have what we need to see God bring revival and transform North America with the love of Jesus. We do have the Gospel and the promise of God that He has the power and is seeking to save people. We do have the resources. I realize that when you think about evangelicals in North America you have to be honest and say that never have so many with so much done so little. At the same time we must also admit that we are a sleeping giant that if awakened could be used of God to change the world. My church is going to hear about it on Sunday too.

Please pray for your lost friends and family. Ask God to send His Holy Spirit to move on them and awaken them with conviction. Share Jesus with them. Be Jesus to them and tell them who you are living to be and why and invite them to personally receive the grace of God and His eternal redemptive love.

Keep on sharing. Do not check it off of your list once you try once. Keep praying. Keep sharing. Keep inviting them to be a part of your spiritual community.

If hope vs fear and heaven vs hell were not at stake, I'd say, "Whatever. Do it if it feels good." The fact of the matter is that the stakes are too high not to pray, live for and share Jesus.

2 comments:

Katie said...

thanks for this reminder to constantly be aware of sharing the Gospel!

Kelsey Diane said...

This is really inspiring to me! I have been struggling with being content with being here and focusing on my ministry in BG when I want to be overseas. This encourages me that there is a job here. I can't wait to hear what you have to say on Sunday. Thanks for reminding us about the people who are lost here and how important sharing the Gospel is!