Saturday, February 27, 2010

Get to Work or Get Cut Down

I have read the Great Commission Resurgence report several times and the message is very clear to me. I read Luke 13:6-9 in my time in the Word this morning and the message is very clear to me.

Luke 13:6–9 Then he told this parable: “A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. 7 So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, ‘For three years now I’ve been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven’t found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?’ 8 “ ‘Sir,’ the man replied, ‘leave it alone for one more year, and I’ll dig around it and fertilize it. 9 If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.’ ”


Either a local church gets to work making disciples or it gets cut down so that another can be raised up.

Jesus promised that He would have His church. Matthew 16:18 "...I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it."

Jesus will have a people for Himself to declare His glory to the nations. A church can join Him in the great commission (Matthew 28:19-20) or get cut out and replaced by a church that will.

I pray that evangelical churches, including the one I serve, we will make the sacrifices and changes needed to make more disciples. Our God is good and gracious. He has offered us a place in His Kingdom work. What a privilege!

Who can you begin to pray and share with in hopes that they will be made a disciple of Jesus? Begin now to work to bring guests with you to Easter. It is only a few weeks away.

No comments: