Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Taking It for Granted


It was really dark this morning and when I was leaving our dark bedroom to go run at 5 am, I failed to notice that our bedroom door was slightly opened. I nailed my head on the door. It hurt so bad. Thankfully, it didn't leave a mark.

While I was driving to the gym, I started thinking about Proverbs 4:19 "But the way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know what makes them stumble." So many people live what I briefly experienced this morning. Darkness is their normal and they stumble about in hate, lust, greed, and all sorts of Godlessness and the result is pain. In sin we never see what's coming until it's too late and by then all we can do is hope to minimize the damage.

What a privilege it is to be walk in Christ and enjoy the blessings of His promises like John 8:12 "When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'”

In Christ we are guided by truth and enabled to be blessed by His presence. This light allows us to see sin for what it is and to avoid obstacles that would trip us up. In Christ we can "throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles," and we are able to "run with perseverance the race marked out for us." We do this when we "fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:1–2

It is easy to take God's blessings for granted. We can own Bibles and have access to places of worship and friends in Christ, but if we do not appreciate them and live in them, we will miss the blessing of the light and face the consequences of darkness. It is a privilege to know Christ. I am going to live in appreciation of God's grace to me today and the light He has bestowed in me.

1 comment:

ruth said...

Your post rightly points us to Christ. It is true that our salvation, our redemption is found in our ever-increasing knowledge of Christ - Paul even when he was a mature Christian said, I want to know Christ. The role of Bibles, places of worship and friends in Christ is to point us to Christ, these are not a substitute for an intense, passionate personal relationship with the Lord Jesus. We need to invite Christ not once but continually into our lives so that we might live in fellowship with Him.