Monday, January 17, 2011

Challenging Words that Comfort


I will be leaving for Africa in a few days with a small band of men to encourage a new church in the truth of God's Word, to challenge missionaries on that field, and to select a city that Living Hope will plant churches in. The excitement is building, but so is the temptation to be anxious. I don't want to get sick. I don't want to let the team or the church or the people down. I don't want to miss what the Lord has for me in this.

I drew comfort from this today and pass it on to you.

If I go upon the Lord’s errand, with a simple reliance upon his power, and a single eye to his glory, it is certain that he will be with me. His sending me binds him to back me up. Is not this enough? What more can I want? If all the angels and archangels were with me, I might fail; but if HE is with me, I must succeed. Only let me take care that I act worthily towards this promise. Let me not go timidly, half-heartedly, carelessly, presumptuously. What manner of person ought he to be who has God with him!

C. H. Spurgeon, The Cheque Book of the Bank of Faith, 17.

2 comments:

Chad said...

You may be tested but you won't let anyone down. God's glory will manifest itself in whatever situation you find yourself in. May the grace of our Lord give you strength.

jason pettus said...

Thanks, Chad. And congratulations to you and Amanda. I can't wait to see Amillia.