Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Easier Said than Done


This morning I played basketball with 7 other men around my age (we had a couple of pups in there) at the Connection Center. The place is beautiful. We played full court on one of the four short courts. It was an absolute blast.

About fifteen minutes into it, when my vertical leap went from 3 inches to 1 inch, I realized how different the game is on the court than from the sidelines. For years now I have been watching my kids play and have been coaching them. I have been pressing them and challenging them to push themselves and get the most out of the ability God gave them.

Being on the court felt different. It was a lot harder than I remembered. I have not played a real game in years. I was pushing myself, but not going very fast or very well.

Now that I am home in my chair with my computer and a cup of coffee, I am reminded of how easy it is to sit back and tell others how they ought to do and how hard it is to actually do it.

One of the things I love about Jesus is that He didn't just write the rules and the best practices for life and then lay back in heaven and never do them. Jesus got in the game. The LORD left heaven and came to this earth and lived the life God made humanity to live. It was a holy and blameless life and in perfect step with the Father in the power of the Holy Spirit.

What I love about the grace of Jesus is that not only am I forgiven by the atoning death Jesus died to pay for my sins, I am also given the righteousness of Christ. I get credit for how Jesus played the game - lived His life. And now, as a Spirit-filled believer, God is guiding me and teaching me to live - to play the game - to the best of His abilities.

Hebrews 4:14–16 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. 16 Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

No comments: