Monday, April 4, 2011

FIRE!


I have always had a fascination with fire. When I was a kid, I would go camping with my friends along the Harpeth River all of the time. We would fish all day walking down the river, then find a good spot to set up camp. I would get the fire going with a little kerosene and then our buddy Oliver would cook. Throughout the night, I would build the fire and try and keep it up so that it would be easily stoked in the morning.

The image of fire is used in Scripture to speak of our passion for God. Our faith is like a fire and it must be constantly cared for. Just as I needed kerosene to start a physical fire, I needed the Holy Spirit to light a fire in my soul so I could be saved. Having been saved I now need the Word of God to burn in me and for God's Holy Spirit to blow on my soul and keep the fire burning. From the warmth of God's love that burns in me I am able to love my God, my wife, my kids, my friends, my family of faith, and the lost and hurting.

We must not let the flames of our faith die down. Just as the priests of Old had to tend to the fire of the temple, so we too must tend to the fire in our temple - our bodies, which are now the dwelling place of God.

Leviticus 6:12–13 The fire on the altar must be kept burning; it must not go out. Every morning the priest is to add firewood and arrange the burnt offering on the fire and burn the fat of the fellowship offerings on it. 13 The fire must be kept burning on the altar continuously; it must not go out.


I am very excited about the 21 DAY JOURNEY Living Hope is on using the devotion "CHRIST IS RISEN." It was written by the leadership at The Hope and the daily blog is as well. Do yourself a favor and keep the fire burning in your soul by participating in the 21 DAY JOURNEY that is preparing us for Easter.

You can join the journey here: http://livinghopeprayer.wordpress.com/

No comments: