Sunday, April 3, 2011

God's Will Comes God's Way


As a pastor, I am asked daily about God's will. People contact me and explain their circumstance and ask what God would have them do. Of course I never know what outcome God desires for their life. That is something only God can know. What I can give is a directive from Scripture for them to obey. IT IS IN OBEDIENCE TO GOD THAT WE FIND AND FULFILL THE WILL OF GOD FOR OUR LIFE.

One of my favorite Psalms is the first one. I love it for many reasons. One is the encouragement I receive from verse 3.
He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.

What a beautiful image. I picture a strong fruitful tree that is planted along the side of a beautiful flowing stream in the midst of a valley surrounded by terrifying mountains. That is how I want to experience my life. I want to live off of the living water of Jesus, as I abide planted in Him producing the fruit of the Spirit all of the while surrounded by terrifying circumstances, but at complete peace.

This, to me, would be a blessed life. This is the life being explained in Psalm 1 and it is another reason why I love this Psalm. It says in verse 1, Blessed is the man... The Hebrew word for blessed is אֶשֶׁר (Asher). That is our youngest child's name. We gave it to him because of God's gracious provision of Him to us. He is one of the many blessings God has given to us on our journey of faith.

What I see in this Psalm is God's way of revealing to us His will. It is by living a life that is obedient to God that we are blessed. In living a blessed life we fulfill God's will and discover our destiny. It is not through some mystical experience or fate that God's will is done. It is through God's people simply loving and trusting God above all else and living under His authority and direction. This is God's will. This accomplishes God's will. This is a blessed life.

Psalm 1:1–3 Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. 3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.

No comments: