Wednesday, January 13, 2010

You Get One Quick Shot

I am on-call this week, which means I am responsible for the care needs of our congregation. It is a lot of extra work, but it is pure joy to get to be there and pray for people in need.

During my rounds yesterday I was reminded of Psalm 39:4–5 “Show me, O Lord, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. 5 You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man’s life is but a breath.”

I visited with a man’s family that will soon pass away. He knows Jesus and has sought to honor Him with his life. His family loves him and they are very sad to see him in this condition, but they are very happy that he is going to be in heaven soon.

Just one floor down I visited the parents of a baby that was 14 hours old. He is beautiful. He has a head full of black hair, which honestly made me jealous. With his eyes wide open, he kept looking about. I wonder what in the world he thinks about all the sights, sounds, and smells he is encountering.

Both are in the hospital right now. One is just getting started. The other is finishing.

It goes by so quick. I am reminded that I must make the most of my days. It is only in this life that we can share Jesus with lost people. I have the honor of loving a precious wife and children. My God has a plan for this brief journey and I need to stick to it.

2 comments:

dan rudloff said...

Good work. Open all doors slowly.

Brittany said...

Jason,

I love this post....I wonder why...I think that it might know that beautiful black headed baby boy.

But your post made me think about our journey and what God has in store for all of us. Each day should not be wasted because we are not guaranteed another. I pray that my days are used for His glory...