Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I Despise the Treadmill

During the cold days of winter, I have to run on a treadmill and I hate it. It is misery. I will be the first to admit that I am a sissy, but running on a treadmill does not work for me.

I got to run outside on Monday. I ran twice as far on Monday as I did today.

The reason why only speaks to my lack of discipline. The reality is that my muscles are the same. Distance is distance. The only real difference is that on a treadmill I can press stop and walk away. When I am out on the road, if I stop I don’t get home.

This reminds me of a necessity in life with God. If we are going to walk with God, we’ve got to get out of the safe zone of living where at any moment when we get tired we can hit the stop button and leave. Stepping out in faith with Christ demands that we commit ourselves and engage God (Genesis 33:17-18), His people (Acts 2:42-47), and His mission (Matthew 28:19-20) to such an extent that we cannot walk away.

My prayer is that I will live so far down the road of grace with Jesus that stopping becomes more frightening than going forward. My prayer is that I will be so engaged with my faith family that leaving them would hurt worse than staying with them in the most hurtful times. My prayer is that I will be so engaged in sharing the Gospel that to stop seeking to make disciples would leave me lost and painfully purposeless.

We must get off of the easy-to-quit treadmill of faith and out on the real world journey with Jesus where there is no looking back.
Luke 9:62 Jesus replied, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”
Genesis 19:26 But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.

2 comments:

Patricia53 said...

Oh my gosh!!! I said this exact same thing to Vicki Schmitt at the Gym on Monday night!!! I despise the treadmill and I told her that outside I had to get back to where I started and couldn't stop. I hadn't but that into the perspective you have. My husband and I have been visiting and have really enjoyed your sermans. I have been visiting your blog and I thank you for your insight

Chad said...

Good metaphor. It kind of reminds me of the point of no return in aeronautics.