Friday, June 27, 2008

You'll Always Do Well If...


I do not like to disappoint people. Everyday I seek to serve my Lord and my people with all I am. Honestly, from time to time I fail them. I say or do something wrong. I do or don't do something I should or not well. And I really like to do things well. We all do. There is not a person who doesn't want to succeed in helping others. Serving others well is the ultimate joy. It is what life is all about - loving God and loving people and serving both with all you are.

But, as I said, it is impossible to always do that with your gifts and abilities. There is something that never fails. There is something that is always beneficial. God has given us something that we can give and serve others with that will always provide what they need.

What is it? It's LOVE!

"Oh, come on," I hear someone moan. "Are you serious? Of course you love people, but surely there is something better we can give. Maybe a formula or a fifty dollar bill would be better?"

I don't think so.

Please understand that when I say that love is the greatest thing you can give I am not saying that you are offering an emotion. Love is bigger and better than our limited emotional capacity. It is a thought, a feeling, and an action.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8Love never fails.

"Love is patient"- it gives people time.

"Love is kind" - it gives people care.

"Love does not envy" - it celebrates others.

"Love does not boast" - it does not make others feel small.

"Love is not proud" - it is humble.

"Love is not rude" - it gives people respect.

"Love is not self-seeking" - it looks to the needs of others.

"Love is not easily angered" - it gives people the benefit of the doubt.

"Love keeps no records of wrongs" - it truly forgives.

"Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth" - it seeks what is best.

"Love always protects" - it defends others.

"Love always trusts" - it looks to the best in others.

"Love always hopes" - it always gives people a reason to go forward.

"Love always perseveres" - it does not quit.

"Love never fails" - it always wins.

My goal is to make sure that every person I encounter knows somehow that God loves them and that I love them.

2 comments:

Chad said...

This is a good blog topic. I know that each of us can do this command. Jesus wouldn't have given us this command in John 13:34 if we weren't able to do it.

If anyone is struggling loving the coworker they can't get along with, the next-door neighbor, the rude stranger in line with you at the grocery store, a fellow church member, and/or an ABF/small group member then I would like to suggest a strategy to help you get there. It works for me.

Begin by loving more those you already love according to the definition Paul states (1Cor 13:4-8) that Jason just interpreted. We can all do a better job at this. Also during this time pray to have your heart open to loving those who make your life harder. I'm certain you'll begin to change in your attitude and action toward them and eventually come to love them as well.

chilidogs said...

"525,600 minutes....how do you measure, measure a year. How about LOVE?" Seasons Of Love, theme song from RENT, you should listen.