Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Why I Can’t Get Enough "Jon and Kate Plus 8"


This TV show is a big hit with me and my family. I believe we have watched every single episode. We have watched a couple of them multiple times. This week my entire family gathered in tiny room with a tiny TV (we’re on vacation and Asher the 18 month old was in the main room on the big TV watching “Toy Story” – he loves it) and we watched the latest episode together.

So why am I hooked? I am a man after all. And usually dudes don’t dig this kind of show. So am I getting girly or is there something else? I think something else.

One, my entire family watches it. It is rated 'G' and so my kids can watch it. We all get together and we watch and we laugh. We laugh, when the kids cry. We laugh, when they throw up because their mad. We laugh, as the parents fight. We laugh and we talk. Our kids ask us if they acted like that and we discuss parenting and marriage philosophy - with our children.

Two, it makes me respect and appreciate my wife even more. We don’t have 8, but we have 3 and one is a baby and he’s huge and he’s stubborn. My wife is very organized and keeps our home running well. She is also a pastor’s wife. That fact alone can make some wives crazy, but she is cool with it. Our home and lives run smoothly because of her. We get through sickness, bills, and brawls and then to bed on time having been fed and provided clean clothes, a clean home, and a hug.

Three, it gives perspective. Everyone is crazy. This family is crazy and so is ours and so is yours to some degree. We all are just crazy at different levels and at different times. This show makes our crazy times seem normal and they are. Sometimes things get crazy and you think you are the only family in the world that is crazy. We’re all a little nuts. One thing my wife and I decided early on in our marriage was that only one person was allowed to be crazy at a time. When we are both crazy, we just shut down the shop and reorganize.

Four, it gives me a better appreciation for my children and the struggle of infertility that so many people struggle through. I have my opinions on the issue and I’m sure you have yours, but at the end of the day there are a lot of couples who want to be mommies and daddies who don’t get that chance the old fashioned way. It is good to know that God is sovereign and that through adoption and other means God brings children into hopefully Christian homes where they are raised on Jesus, the Bible, and the Gospel.

I would encourage you to check out the show and see what it does for you.

3 comments:

Richard Carwile said...

It is a hit in the Carwile home as well. If you go to the family's website, they share their faith in Christ and their process of deciding not to follow the doctor's advice to selectively abort when they found out they were pregnant with 6. It is a great story of faith. The site is: http://www.sixgosselins.com/Our_Story.html

Amy said...

The Richey's are addicted too! Actually, we watch the old episodes late at night when the kids are asleep. Brent and I laugh because he thinks I am Kate and he is Jon. I am not that extreme! We think that they are doing a great job raising those kids. I don't have as much order with 2 as she does with 8!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy it as well, but the hubbie...not so much. Maybe he will think it's cool that you watch it and will tune in (not likely). :-)
Like you, it gives me comfort knowing my household isn't the only crazy one out there.
Also, I have been meaning to let you know this for a while...I so appreciate how you always acknowledge couples struggling with infertility. It is so sweet that you mention it on Mother's Day as it is a tough day for many. You mentioned it here again in your blog and it is touching. As someone that struggled and is now so blessed to be an adoptive mom, I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.
Enjoy your time with your family!