Monday, June 23, 2008

Spurgeon’s Brilliance and the Danger of Religious Pride


Charles Spurgeon is one of my heroes. I read his biography by Arnold A. Dallimore the summer I graduated from high school.

Look at how he takes this verse, that could easily be read over and missed, and applies it to our faith.

“Ephraim is a cake not turned.” Hosea 7:8

A cake not turned is soon burnt on the side nearest the fire, and although no man can have too much religion, there are some who seem burnt black with bigoted zeal for that part of truth which they have received, or are charred to a cinder with a vainglorious Pharisaic ostentation of those religious performances which suit their humour. The assumed appearance of superior sanctity frequently accompanies a total absence of all vital godliness. The saint in public is a devil in private. He deals in flour by day and in soot by night. The cake which is burned on one side, is dough on the other.[1]

The man was insightful. Now consider his insight and see what it might have to say to your life.

There is an old saying. “A little bit of information is a dangerous thing.” There have been times early in my ministry and walk with God, when I was so sure I was right and others were so wrong. I was so proud of what I knew and so disgusted with what I considered ignorance in others.

In some instances my belief was right, but my attitude was wrong. The sin of pride was worse than the misunderstanding of others. God showed me that orthodoxy is not enough. It is not enough to merely know the truth.

If we do not truly love God and people, we are in sin. If we are not constantly humbled by the greatness of God and His grace, we really have no understanding at all.

Our faith must be consistent on the outside and the inside or it is of no use. Like a cake that is only cooked on one side, it will be burnt and bitter and at the same time undone and dangerous.

Let God cook both the inside and outside of your life so that it is balanced in love and truth. We must not allow ourselves to be "one note believers." These are believers who get hung up on one point of doctrine or a faith concept and focus on it at the expense of grace and love. Get excited about the truth God allows you to see, but be humbled by it and pray that God will allow it to grow you into a more faithful servant. Don't let it make you proud and judgmental.


[1]C. H. Spurgeon, Morning and Evening : Daily Readings (Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1995), June 23 AM.

2 comments:

Richard Carwile said...

Spurgeon's "The Soul Winner" is a classic on evangelism and is a quick read for anyone wanting to pick something up by this great man of faith. It is one of my favorites.

Chad said...

I’ve struggled with being Pharisaic often during my first year as a Christian. Coming to the end of year two I’ve found it’s getting better. One way I’ve found this to get better is to remind myself often of Philippians 2:3 “…consider others greater than yourself.” When I keep chanting that verse to myself God’s grace allows me to not judge “the hypocrite”, the lukewarm Christian, the sinner(s), etc. Instead I get reminded of the fact that I am also the hypocrite, the lukewarm Christian, the sinner, etc and that is a shameful experience. However it feels good to be reminded that I am no more than dust and that I’ve been called to live for Christ and that I need lots and lots of refining.