Friday, June 6, 2008

Track or Treadmill


For those keeping up, I did it! This morning I rode the bike and then ran 6 laps - 7.5 miles - and I didn't cheat or stumble. I almost threw up and my runner's bliss turned into a nightmare, but I did it.

Here's what I learned. I can't do anymore than 6 laps. I might be able to go a little faster, but I do not have the time to do more. And let's face it I'm built for comfort not for speed. I actually went over time this morning, but I believe I can pick up my pace and get back within my time constraints. I will not be able to run further because I will not have the time to train to go any further. This is it. I cannot do more than 6 laps without taking away from other responsibilities. This goes back to the point I was a making on the other post.

The other thing I learned was that I could have never done this on a treadmill. I agree with the comments of Linda and anonymous on the other post. You have to do what you have to do and you need to push yourself to do all God calls you to do. I would not have pushed myself on a treadmill. It's too easy to quit. All you have to do is reach back 6 inches on the arm brace and hit the "stop" button, which calls to me longing to be touched the entire time I run.

When I'm on the track, the only place I can stop is at the starting point. Once I get going there is no sense in stopping because I'm out there and no one can carry me back. I have to get home so I keep on trucking.

This is also true of life. There are situations we can put ourselves in and an attitude we can possess that makes it is easier to quit and give up. There are also circumstances we can work in that do not allow the luxury of quitting.

What kind of environment and mindset do you have? Are you living life on a track where you can't quit what your committed to or have you opted for the treadmill life where you can quit whenever it gets hard and you feel like a change?

1 comment:

Chad said...

I like this exercise analogy for life. In addition to wanting to quit, cutting-corners, etc there can also exist another situation.

That other situation is doing exactly what God has called you to do and getting discouraged. A believer may being doing what God has called him/her to do. While they are doing this they may find that its hard, long, and may feel discouraged because the results are not coming fast enough (on our time table).

What gives me encouragement through these kinds of trials are the words of Solomon (Ecc. 9:11) and Mark (Mark 13:13). Paraphrased and combined from both I get "Run the race (endure the trials) to your very best in life, even if you are not very fast, and if you endure to the end you will be saved."