Tuesday, March 10, 2009

When We See Others' Sin Part 2

There are two judgments that take place, when we see the sin of other people. We either judge them and condemn them or we judge ourselves and humble ourselves. The thing about sin is that it is universal. Everyone sins. Of course not every sin has the same level of consequences. Lying destroys trust, but murder ends a life. Lust destroys a mind, but adultery destroys a family and a future. But sin is sin and it is an affront to God.

The proper judgment a person needs to have, when they see the sin of other people is self judgment. You can know that your head and heart are in a wrong place and your life is more than likely in an unjustified spiritual position, when you judge others rather than judging yourself. It's always better to be the tax collector rather than the pharisee.
Luke 18:10-14 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ 13“But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’ 14“I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Pharisees believe themselves to be right with God because of their supposed moral superiority. Their problem is they do not understand nor believe in the holiness of God and the condemnation of all sin. They believe that they are not in need of forgiveness because they do not understand the fact that they are sinners. Wrongly believing they have no sin in their own life, they wrongly judge others they see sin. Because they do not think they need forgiveness, they do not see the need to forgive others.

Those that judge others need to remember the words of Jesus. Matthew 7:3-5 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."

They need to realize the damnable penalty of an unforgiving judgmental life. Matthew 18:21-35 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?” 22Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. 23“Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand talents was brought to him. 25Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt. 26“The servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ 27The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go. 28“But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii. He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded. 29“His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay you back.’ 30“But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31When the other servants saw what had happened, they were greatly distressed and went and told their master everything that had happened. 32“Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ 34In anger his master turned him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed. 35“This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart.”


When we see others sin, we need to realize that they have done what we have done. We have all sinned against God. Meditate on Psalm 51 and allow it to be your prayer.

Psalm 51:1-12 For the director of music. A psalm of David. When the prophet Nathan came to him after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba. Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. 2Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. 3For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. 4Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. 5Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. 6Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place. 7Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. 8Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice. 9Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. 10Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. 11Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. 12Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

2 comments:

Chad said...

As a member of LHBC I urge the congregation to get behind this family. This family has endured a lot in a short time. Additionally, the road to healing has just begun and they have a lot of hard work in front of them. Their marriage is going to be tested over and over, and it will undoubtedly be filled with much heartache and tears. Extended family and close friends are hurting as well. The storm this family is enduring will have short term and long-term consequences. All of this is difficult enough for them. They are in need of our support and prayers. Gossip and judgment are the last things they need from us. As I’ve stated, they have enough to endure until things get better. And they will get better because they are doing what Christ wants them to do.

When each of us stands before God Almighty and have to give an account on how we handled this situation do you want to state that you kicked a family while they were down? I don’t think so. You will be a blessing to this family, and yourself, by abstaining from gossip and judgment.

Unfortunately there will be people out for blood because they feel they have to right to gossip. For those of us who are choosing to support this family, I urge you to take a stand when you are around others who are saying things they shouldn’t. Either walk away from the conversation and/or politely state that you do not feel comfortable with the type of conversation taking place.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Chad for your input and as I read Pastor Jason's blogs completely I was reminded that we who call Jesus our Lord and Savior have been forgiven so much more than even we could ever realize. Psalm 51 is so wonderfully inspiring yet painfully true when God reminds us that He is the one whom the sin was committed against, not man.
Yes, we may be directly offended by others but never, not even close, to the extreme that we ourselves have sinned against a Holy Creator and yet, like king David through confession and sincere repentance, praise God, forgiven and restored to a right relationship with Him!
May we, I, be so filled with the joy of the Redeemer that when these offenses do come they will be handled with grace, God's grace.