Thursday, March 12, 2009

Learning His Letters and Loving It

My wife Carrie has found a website that our two-year old absolutely loves and it is helping him learn the letters of the alphabet. The website is ht www.starfall.com. This simple low tech site has my wild man sitting still with a smile on his face trying to understand the shapes and sounds of letters.

Our small group couldn't meet last night and I had Asher with me while Carrie was taking our daughter Mackenzie and her friends to youth group. I had my laptop out and I went to the site and we sat in the chair with me for almost twenty minutes clicking on the letters. He would point and tell me the letter he wanted and I would click it and he would sound it out.

At one point he requested I click the letter 'j' and we went through the different examples for 'j' and at the end there is a game that requires you to put letters together. So I click and moved them to their place and it spelled j-u-m-p. Then a voice sounded the letters out in order slowly at first and then faster. Asher repeated along with the voice. About ten minutes later I did 'j' again and when we got to the part where the letters come together to spell j-u-m-p Asher looked at the word and said, "jump." Now he may have just memorized that, but I also know that is a part of reading.

For what it's worth I am impressed with this site and recommend it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love it too!! There are several cool interactive things that they can "find"...for example when the J girl is eating jellybeans...if you click on her again she will go and eat the rest of the jellybeans. The V is also cool...keep clicking the van after the song is over and the backgrounds will change as they drive and sing!!

Anonymous said...

Our kids love it as well!
Mike

Brittany said...

Yeah, I'll have to check site out! Thanks for the recommendation.
You have a smart boy on your hands! :) And he's a cutie too!

Have a great week!

Brittany