Friday, October 17, 2008

My Daughter Is 12!





I cannot believe my little girl is 12. She is two thirds of the way through her childhood. I have six more years to prepare her to head out on her own. The prayers of my wife and I have been consistent. We pray for her Spirit, her mind, and her body. We believe that if she has the Spirit of God working in her, a mind for Christ, and a healthy body to serve the Lord with that there is not much more a parent can hope for. From that solid foundation we know she can be guided by God and make good decisions for her life.

We are extremely proud of our little girl. I see in her the beauty and common sense of her mother and her willingness to take risks like her father. I see a love for God and for people. I see a willing heart open to God's directing. I see a life and body that is rapidly changing, but a fundamental commitment to honor God and her parents that stays the same.

Here are some pictures from the early days. Check out dad with hair!

One of the events my wife and I can look back on now and laugh about is the first month or so of Mackenzie's life. She was colic for the first several weeks. If she was awake, she was crying. She was so miserable and so were we. One afternoon I came home from work and my poor wife was in the back bedroom. When I came in she simply said, "Change the diaper." There was no smile or any emotion at all in the statement. It was just a command that needed no explanation, but did tell me all about how the day had gone.

While I was changing the diaper, I heard the door shut. By the time I got the diaper on and carried this crying bundle of love to the window all I could see were the tail lights of my wife's car. I looked in the face of my screaming daughter and said, "Oh, I hope she comes back."

In time she did. She just needed a break. Those were tough days, but we now look at the daughter God has given us and the tough times are seen as worth it.

You may be going through a tough time in your life right now. It may be in your marriage, with your children or other family members, with your finances or work, or maybe with friends or church. No matter what you are going through, don't give up on God. Don't walk away from this opportunity to grow. If you stay the course that honors God no matter how hard it may be, you will be glad you did in the end. If you quit now, you'll find it easier to quit again and again on other things. Don't quit! Stay the course and trust God to provide.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason,
Thanks for sharing your story about Mackenzie. All of us proud parents can relate. Mackenzie is a jewel.

Rick said...

Thanks for a very touching blog post, pastor.

Anonymous said...

Is that aUT orange shirt you are wearing? :) You all have done a great job with Mackenzie.

Chad said...

I like what you wrote about having "six more years to prepare your daughter for a life on her own." That statement reminds me of Psalms 127:4. Solomon stated that children are like the arrows of a warrior.

Arrows go in the direction the warrior shoots them. As a new parent, this verse takes on a whole different meaning. Thanks for your prayers, and the prayers of the members of LHBC, for the health and safety of our recently born son Avery. He continues to grow stronger.

jason pettus said...

Thanks Doug. We are very proud of her. And NO that is Tennessee orange! It could be Texas, but...