Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hope from Psalm 34


When I was a student at Belmont University, one of my professors, Dr. Lloyd Elder, shared how Psalm 34 had led him through some dark days. I don’t remember his age when it happened, but at some point Dr. Elder experienced a tremendous loss in his family. I do not recall the circumstances, but I can’t forget the pain he went through and described so well to us, his class. It was a deep pain that leaves a scar and causes a limp for the remainder of your life. As he shared the experience, I could see the weight of the ache still lingering on him.

He shared his experience during, what to this day, was the worst time of my life. I served as a student pastor, while I was in college, and one of my boys was killed at a youth event on a hay ride. On top of the devastation of watching a child under my care die, I was later sued by the parents.

I believe Dr. Elder revealed that wound to give me hope. Isn’t it amazing how we gain hope by seeing other saints endure and survive hard times? That day I received hope and renewal, when I needed it most.

Dr. Elder shared his story and then he opened his Bible to Psalm 34 and read:

v. 6-7 This poor man called, and the Lord heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles. 7The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.

He confessed no miraculous vision or ecstatic experience. That text became his guide and his trust. He believed God’s Word to be true, and so, he was able to live each day knowing that God had not forgotten him. He was able to live knowing that God was with him and that there was an angelic host who stood as guard of his heart.

I too believed and still believe the Bible to be true. Those verses gave me hope along with these found in Psalm 34.

v. 8 Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.

v. 15 The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their cry;

v. 17-18 The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. 18The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

v. 19 A righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all;

v. 22 The Lord redeems his servants; no one will be condemned who takes refuge in him.

So, to the redeemed of the Lord, I encourage you to put your trust in the One who loves you and died for you. Turn to the One who knows what it is to experience the loss of a child, betrayal, rejection, and abuse of the worst kind. Turn to Him and be saved from a life of hopelessness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for those words/verse. I & I'm sure others needed to be reminded of this.

Chad said...

Amen. The Psalms provide provide so much comfort. John 16:33 is also so very comforting. Thank the Lord for His encouraging words and for your blog message.