Friday, April 11, 2008

Faith


Douglas Gresham, C. S. Lewis's stepson and producer of the upcoming Prince Caspian, when asked about his faith journey and whether or not he had walked away from his faith, said in an interview with Christianity Today,


The problem is you have to define what you mean about ‘faith.’ We use that term much too loosely. I always believed in God and in Jesus Christ, but so does the Devil himself. Faith in that sense is not sufficient to make you a Christian. I think the faithful Christian is the one who lives out his or her duty to God and to Christ, and demands a certain submission to the will of God. My problem for many years was that although I believed in God and Jesus, I didn't want to submit my life to the authority of anyone but myself. And therefore, in a sense, I was worshiping myself and, therefore, had a fool for a deity.


We must return to an understanding of Christianity that does not allow mere mental attestation to be defined as faith in Christ. The call of Jesus is for us to place our lives completely in His hands and trust Him. That means we obey Him and love him, especially when everything in us and everyone around us encourages us not to.