Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Healthy


I'm not saying I am in great shape because I'm not. I'm not saying that I'm thin because I need to lose weight. I'm not saying that my diet is what it ought to be because I am a Southerner and required to eat fried foods, sweet tea, and I believe a certain amount M&Ms. BUT, I do believe I am healthy.

No, I'm not going to be featured on a fitness drink ad with this figure, but my doctor told me when I was 25 that some people are race horses and some people are like me, a mule;D For a mule, I'm healthy.

We love to make comparisons in North America. We are told by people all of the time what we are supposed to look like, what we should own, and how well we should be liked. The fact of the matter is that each one of us is unique and has a specific purpose for which God has called us. God's desire is that we be who He created us to be to the best of our ability. That does not mean that we get complacent, but we do need to be careful that we avoid the comparison games that lead to idolatry.

The same is true of families, businesses, churches, and fellowship groups. Each one is unique and has specific gifts and abilities. There is not one standard by which all things can be judged except Christ and His Word. In Scripture we find God using all kinds of people and groups for certain purposes. Bigger is not always better. Smaller is not always smarter. One's good may be another's best, but what really matters is what God thinks.

I spoke to a sweet saint yesterday that is about to meet the Lord soon. As we talked about her life and legacy, I encouraged her with the fact that very soon she will hear the Lord say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." She teared up and said, "That is all I ever hoped for. Do you really think God will say that to me." I assured her that her faithful service to our King and humble heart gives God glory and that He will surely say that to her.

There is nothing better to live for than to hear those words from Jesus... "well done." That is a healthy life. That is the goal.

1 comment:

Chad said...

Absolutely. There is no greater glory we can receive than being told we have done a good job by the Lord most High.