Saturday, August 14, 2010

A Very Serious Promise - No Matter What...

Jeremiah 42:6 "Whether it is favorable or unfavorable, we will obey the LORD our God, to whom we are sending you, so that it will go well with us, for we will obey the LORD our God.”

This is what the remnant in Israel said to Jeremiah after the Lord had sent the leadership of Israel into exile in Babylon. Sadly, they did not mean it. They already had plans and tickets to Egypt. They did not want God to lead them. They wanted to lead God. There was no desire in their hearts to obey God. It was their intent to have God simply agree with their decision.

I have made this mistake. There have been times in my life when I determined what I wanted and what I was going to do and then went to God for His affirmation. On some occasions, when I did not get God's approval, I still did what I had determined to do. The outcomes were never good. God was gracious and led me still, but it was grace and mercy not obedience on my part that manifested God's purpose.

This week I had a situation where a couple wanted God to bless THEIR decision. They came to me under the false pretense of wanting to know what God's Word would say to their situation. It was my assumption that they were serious and so when I opened the Word with them and taught them the Scriptures, I was alarmed at their response. In a courteous southern way they said,"That's nice, pastor and we appreciate you, but we have already decided what we want. We just hoped you and God would agree with us. See ya."

God is gracious and I believe He will be merciful to them. They will suffer consequences for their disobedience. There will be more pain in their future. In the end they will find God faithful and true and see that His way is the way and repent. I only hope God will open their eyes and they will obey His Word now.

We must obey God no matter what. Not because we have to, but because we want what is best. God knows what is best. We must trust Him. We must seek His will in His Word and simply believe Him and obey Him. If we will, our lives may not be easy, but we will have peace in God's will. We will be blessed and we will bless others.

My prayer: Father, I am a foolish man that has been saved and given Your Spirit of wisdom. Save me from me and allow Your servant to obey You rather than my flesh and my desires. Let me choose You and not to what will please and win the approval of others. Allow me the peace that comes in humble obedience. Let me hear Your directive for my life in Your Word and empower me to do it.

No comments: