Wednesday, March 10, 2010

THE DAY!

Can you remember the day you came to receive saving faith in Jesus Christ. Mine was June 28, 1988. I had lived my life with spiritual indifference. I knew how to play the game... go to church to impress the parents, make good grades, be good in athletics, and then when no one was looking live like a moron.

God saved me that night in the middle of my bedroom just before dawn. I asked him to forgive me based on my belief in what Christ had accomplished on the cross. There were still a lot of questions swirling in my mind, but somehow I understood that when Christ died on that cross, He paid the penalty of my sin. The fact that Christ was raised meant I could relate to Him and be guided by Him.

God was good to me. He is good to me. He has promised to be good to me for eternity.

On March 10, 1748 John Newton "began earnestly studying the Bible. He embraced Christ and eventually entered the ministry, becoming one of England’s best-loved preachers and a leader in the fight against slavery. He once recalled, 'That tenth of March is a day much remembered by me; and I have never suffered it to pass unnoticed since the year 1748—the Lord came from on high and delivered me out of deep waters.'"
Morgan, R. J. (2000). On this day : 265 amazing and inspiring stories about saints, martyrs & heroes (electronic ed.). Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

So what about you... do you have a day or time you can look back on when you began to live under the grace and leadership of Jesus?

If not and you would like to, go here and get more information.

1 comment:

Chad said...

The period prior to my salvation was awful. I was a devote atheist and at the time going through a lot of personal trauma on numerous fronts. I never felt so overwhelmed. A kind woman, who later became my wife, witnessed to me on several occasions. In the beginning I passed them off as fairy-tales that must make her feel better somehow. I struggled more as time went on but on a particularly difficult day, alone in my bedroom and amidst my heartache, I heard a very, very quite soft voice that spoke, “I am with you.” I decided it was time to stop rejecting Christ’s offer. I got on my knees and prayed the Sinner’s Prayer.

Today I am so thankful for those bad times, otherwise I would not have come to Christ.

When I share my experience I like to end with a statement for parents struggling with children who are atheists. There is hope for them; I always felt Him calling throughout my life of ridiculing Him. I praise God’s grace for forgiving a sinner like me.