Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Jackson and Me and the SBC (southern baptist convention)

My son Jackson and I just got back from being at the Southern Baptist Convention. The folks from the Missional Church Network invited me to come to a dinner at the convention and share some ways God is leading Living Hope to live on mission in our city. It was a joy to get to be with them and to share how God led Living Hope to launch Hope House last year and the difference we already see this independent non-profit organization having in our city and with our congregation, as we partner with them. I didn’t have time to share many of the cool ways God is working through the church. I didn’t share how many of our people get involved in our One Great Day event, which by the way is coming on Saturday, September 26. This is a single day event where the small groups, adult Bible fellowships, service teams, and all the people of Living Hope head out into the city to provide service for specific projects that families and organizations in our area need help with: painting, clean up, light construction, lawn care, etc. It is Living Hope’s way of saying to our city that we love and care about them. There was also no time for me to share the initiatives our people have taken upon themselves to care for the Burmese, Chinese, and other international groups that God has sent to our city to be loved and shown the life of Jesus. I also did not have time to share how individuals are living on mission in their work places or how people are caring for the emotional needs of the sick and forgotten elderly in our town.

The response I received from those in attendance was very encouraging to me. I was surprised by how many people already knew what God had been leading us to do. Some people there simply came up after to say thank you because someone they knew had been blessed by what we were doing. Some shared how their church had taken some of the ideas we were implementing and were now doing some of the same things we had done and are being a blessing to their city. It was also great to get to meet new leaders that want to learn with us and network with what God is up to in our little town. I look forward to spending time with these leaders in the future and joining God in what He has for us.

I was only one of four presenters. The other three were church planters. One was from Chicago, one from Canada, and one from Clarksville, Tn. They inspired me with the way in which they are joining God in what He is doing and has called them to do. They are in very different cultures than the one I live in and are serving in ways that are very different than me, but what was revealed in the end is that we are all serving Jesus. Each one of us in our own way have been gifted and instructed by Jesus to take His Gospel to specific people in a unique way. They each had things to say that stuck with me. Here are some of the highlights for me:

1. “Take time to be with lost people and really listen to their story.” That really grabbed me because it reminded me that God loves the people He leads us to and is at work in their life. We are to find out where and how God is at work in their life and join Him in bringing light, love and hope to them in Christ.
2. “Be obedient and do what God calls you to do not because it is easy or popular, but because you want to honor God.” This reminded me that service to Jesus is not about me. It’s about the King and those He’s called me to serve. Joy comes in serving Jesus and losing my life in Him.
3. “Let people go.” God is at work and needs workers. I love my friends and I love the people of my church, but I can’t hold them back. I need to encourage them to start new small groups to connect with people that need to be connected. I need to encourage them to go where God leads them to serve even though it will keep me from spending as much time with them as I do now and desire to.
4. “Pray for God to raise up workers for the harvest.” Prayer is the hard work of ministry. It requires faith to be lived out. It requires us to depend upon God to do the work. Most of us like God depending on us to do the work, but really the work of the ministry is God’s way of just being nice and loving us and letting us join Him in what He’s doing. God does the work. We need to pray for Him to do the work of raising up people that will join Him in what He’s doing so they too can see His greatness and His love and His care being lived out as He transforms lives with His grace.

There was a lot more said, but that’s what comes to mind and that I have time to write about because I also want to tell you about the part of the convention Jackson and I got to see.

That dinner was on Monday night. On Monday afternoon Jackson and I got to go and hear Mike Huckabee speak. Mike did a tremendous job. I believe and pray he will become our president one day. He loves the Lord and understands the role of government. He explained that the foundation of government is the home where a mom and dad must love each other and raise children to love Jesus and their neighbors. From there a society can be built where people take responsibility for themselves and their neighbors and do not see the government as responsible for providing for their needs. They see the government protecting their right to provide for themselves and care for their neighbors. I like the America he wants to see become a reality.

He said a lot of other great things about leadership and the need to serve. It was a great message. I recommend you go to www.sbc.net and click on the convention icon and listen to his talk and also to the other speakers. I have not listened to the others, but I plan to this week.

1 comment:

Jay Hardwick said...

Jason - it was great to meet you officially on Monday night. What a God-thing that Lee and I just walked up to the table with you and Jackson. I absolutely loved hearing the story of what God is up to in Living Hope and in BG through Living Hope. Would love the opportunity to connect again at some point.

Next time you talk to Coach Horn, tell him he needs to get on the front lines of church planting and come to our church. :-) We're literally 5 minutes from his house.

All the best to you, your family, and your church!