Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Chillin' Mostly

I've had a tremendous morning and the afternoon ain't bad either.

I got up and ran at 5 am and was back by 7 am to get some personal time with God. Carrie and I took her car to get it checked out. The ABS light was coming on and going off from time to time. Turns out it's not just the breaks. It's gonna' be expensive, but so it goes in life. Everything breaks and dies. It's part of the consequence of the fall.

I spent the rest of the morning listening to message from the SBC in Louisville and one from Advance '09. The thing I am hearing over and over is that the church in North America is in trouble. It sounds like there are pockets of progress, but a whole lot of decline. I do not pretend to know what we must do to turn the tide. I don't know that we can do much. We are so fragmented as the body of Christ. It seems that the church as a whole in North America has gotten so side-tracked and side-ways with each other on secondary and tertiary issues that we do not have time for the Great Commission. It seems that the church in North America has also gotten side-tracked with self. Let's face it most people in the church are more upset about the economy and politics than they are people they don't know in danger of a life and eternity without God. I don't have any statistical data to back that up other than the fact the church in North America is in decline.

I don't know what to do about the whole world or North America, but I do know what I'm supposed to do. My responsibility and yours, if you are redeemed blood-bought, spirit-filled friend of Jesus, is to love Jesus, love the people of the church, and love lost people. It is our job to make our individual church the most loving place on the planet and seek to share the hope we have in Jesus - our redeeming resurrected God.

I hope you are having a good day. I am about to try and finish up Mark Driscoll's book "Vintage Church." It is really good.

I might even slip in and get some shut eye with Asher. He thinks that's funny.

3 comments:

Katie said...

5am runs are a killer! I don't know how you are doing it. I am a definate afternoon/evening runner after food and caffeine. Training for that half marathon, right?

jason pettus said...

I don't know about half marathon. I run to eat;-) And I do 5 am because it's 70 degrees. I can't take the heat. I'm sensitive like that.

Katie said...

I see I see..ha. But it's proven that people run better with food and caffeine in their system. You should definatly sign up for the Medical Center 10k in October! It's a fun run in and around downtown and campus. Luckily, I don't have to deal with the heat and humidity in North Dakota :)