Monday, July 14, 2008

Talked with My Pastor


Last week I received a huge lift. I got to spend almost an hour talking with my pastor. My pastor is Brother Bob Mowery (Bro. Bob). He served as the senior pastor of Park Avenue Baptist Church for 35 years. He is a man of great integrity and wisdom. It is dumbfounding to me that he served a single church for the same amount of time that I have lived on this earth. That is amazing.

I had the opportunity to share some of the challenges I have faced as a leader and listen to him share story after story of how he had faced similar situations. He share both his victories and his failures and in the process gave me hope.

There is one thing that I will pass on to you. One of the things he said last week that I heard him say several times in sermons over the years is, "One hundred years from now the only thing that will matter is where we stand with Jesus." What a wonderful and true perspective.

I know I tend to get worried and caught up in many things that seem important, but really in the grand scheme of things aren't.

I am going to take Bro. Bob's advise and regularly ask myself this simple question: "One hundred years from now will this (whatever this may be) really matter?" If not, don't get too bent out of shape about it.

The Bible teaches the same thing:
Philippians 3:20-4:1 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body. 1Therefore, my brothers, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, that is how you should stand firm in the Lord, dear friends!
Matthew 6:33-34 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

2 comments:

Chad said...

Thanks for the blog. I've been working on a work to-do list all morning that goes until this December. I've found myself getting stressed out at times. I'm glad to have read your blog today.

Anonymous said...

Amen and Amen!

A hundred years from now, nothing we struggle with from day to day will matter. Only where we stand with Christ.