Friday, July 13, 2007

God Made His Church Missional


As I shared with you a couple of weeks ago, I’ve been thinking a lot about the church lately. I had the opportunity to spend last week with a wonderful group of doctoral students discussing God’s church and His intention for her.

I learned a great deal and am very excited about the church and what God wants to do through His people. I am looking forward to sharing my excitement with you.

Here's what I need you to know and be praying about.

On Sunday August 5th we will have our annual “Vision Sunday” where I will outline our focus for the year in view of our church vision, mission, and values. I intend to share some basic thoughts on what it means to be a church on mission where every member is a missionary.

Then we will spend two weeks looking at the life of Christ according to the Gospels on Sunday August 12th, Wednesday August 15th, and Sunday August 19th.

On August 26th we will begin the series “Grace Anatomy - recovering the missional church God made.” Each message will be based on a book or books of the Bible beginning with Luke/Acts and ending on Sunday October 7th with 2 Thessalonians.

In the end I believe we will see not only what God wants His church to be, but what it is we must do individually and collectively as His community of faith to fulfill His desire. Our key verse will be John 20:21 “Again Jesus said, Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.’” We will be reminded that as the church we are called to care for ourselves and one another in Christ, but also to reach out compassionately to the world with the hope of the Gospel and the healing it brings.

Please be in prayer for this upcoming fall. I believe God’s Spirit is going to move us to get beyond thinking about what we want for and from God’s church and begin to live out what God desires for His church.

No comments: