Sunday, June 17, 2007

Too Critical of Christian Resources


I want to apologize for my arrogant and overcritical comments of Christian media and resource outlets this morning in my message. I shared an opinion that was neither gracious nor edifying. There are a number of wonderful ways in which Christ is honored and the church is encouraged with Christian media and resource outlets and I was very insensitive in disregarding their positive impact for the Kingdom of God.

What I shared was my opinion, which has no place in the public proclamation of the Word. My point was that as believers we need to be weary of accepting everything that claims to be Christian as Christian as we are commanded to in 1 John 4:1 "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world."

It is important that as believers we understand what is primary, what is secondary, and what is merely opinion.

Things that are primary are things like the Gospel, the Word of God, and the doctrine of God. Things that are secondary are things like church polity, spiritual gifts, and how often communion is to be received. Things that are opinion are things like style of music, times of worship, and appropriateness of attire.

I am concerned that there are Christian resources that claim to be Christian that do not agree with what is primary to the faith. This makes them dangerous and egregious. Christians must discern what is true according to the Word of God and not based on what suits our personal appetites or egos.

Again, I apologize for my negativity toward Christian media and resource outlets. There are many profitable ones that honor God and help us as we seek to follow Christ.

No comments: