Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Opposite of “The Flood”


We have recently been without rain here in BG for a long time. My daughter commented to me this morning that it was almost 40 days that we went without any rain.

That is the opposite of what happened to Noah. He had 40 days and nights with a rain of judgment.

Right now it is pouring down rain. It is a wonderful sight. Water is gushing down the sides of our street. My brown grass is being pressed down by the weight of the water piling on it. Soon it will stand tall and green.

This rain is a blessing not a curse.

It is also a blessing to have God pour out His Spirit on us. Our souls get dry and crusty on this big rock circling the sun. We need refreshment and renewal. Our hearts and minds need something fresh and cool.

Isaiah 44:3 For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants.

My son told me this morning that a person can only go 90 hours without water. That’s 3 days and 18 hours.

I wonder how long the soul can go without spiritual refreshment. How long before the ground of the soul becomes so hard the Gospel seed can no longer penetrate it? How long until the parched land of the mind begins to crack? How long until the valley of the heart becomes a desert?

Why risk it? Don’t go a day without being alone with God. Don’t let a week go by without gathering with the church for worship? Don’t go a month without serving the needs of the church and the world. Be where God is and let Him pour out His Spirit down on your life and refresh you.

Email thoughts, comments, and questions to jpettus@lhbg.org.

No comments: